Outside the Binary [YO Club]

TeaPlease

Hi, everyone. I've been on this forum for a while and seen the Boys Club thing, Girls Space, gay-straight-bisexual. You know. The Hooplah. But I've never actually seen a concentrated amount of people for situations outside of the general binary.

what binary????

Well, gender and sexuality are often subjected to systematic organisation. The

Please Register/ Sign In, in order to see the links.
and Sexuality Binary is just two distinct fields that people fall into. For gender, female or male. For sexuality, straight or gay. BUT there are many systems and in my personal experience and seeing, meeting, and knowing of others... things aren't that cut and dry.

So I'm opening this thread for those who fall out of the binary. Personally, I believe gender and sexuality is a huge ol' spectrum of varying traits, camps, teams, divisions.... other words to describe groups... You get the drift. Now, I've horded articles and written a few shite explanations about these issues myself! I'll provide a list of them below.

Anyways.

welcome? yes. Talk about yourself! Relate to people with similar identities! Meet like-minded individuals! And uh, ask me questions or drop them here if you're questioning, confused, or unsure about where you fall. Not everyone or everything NEEDS (or even wants) a label. Idk. Have fun. Crazy kids.

Handy Resources!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TeaPlease

• andredmcampos

• tsen

Well, I'm a Bi(Pluri)sexual cis-man, so I'm only 'out of the binary' in one aspect, but I've already read theories saying that you need at least five aspects to perfectly describe a person's sexuality:

Biological Gender (born with male reproductive organs or female reproductive organs, neither or both)

Gender Identity (How one understands it's own gender, Male, Female, Agender, Gender Fluid, etc, etc, etc)

Gender Expression (How one expresses it's own gender, same as above)

Sexual Orientation (What kind of people does one feel sexually attracted to, Heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, pansexual, plurisexual, omnisexual, asexual, etc, etc, etc)

Romantic Orientation (What kind of people does one feel romantically attracted to, hetero-romantic, homo-romantic, pan-romantic, pluri-romantic, etc, etc, etc)

And other than that there are the relations amongst said characteristics, a person with Biological Gender Male and Gender Identity female would be a trans-person, for example.

So, basically, the ammount of possible "lables", "titles" and etc are immense.

One person could be, say, Biolocigally female, identify as male, express as gender fluid, be bisexual and homo-romantic, or even heterosexual and homo-romantic. In fact, I know a guy that's homossexual and hetero-romantic.

Yeah, there are an immense amount of ways to discuss one's self or identify. I know people who are panromantic but heterosexual. Thank you for discussing the five ways!

I think we lack this kind of discussions in our day and time, so I'm happy to oblige to them whenever it's possible. Most people think that the only possible options are heterossexual, homossexual and transexual, when that's not even close to the truth (and transexual is not even on the same aspect as hetero/homo)

Thank you for that point. It's odd that people group transexuality with homosexuality and heterosexuality. It's like... That's a gender. Not a sexual preference. I would like to introduce more aspects of the spectrums to rps and yaoi related things. It adds a new layer.

I also don't think that the term "Sexual Preference" is very good. I usually opt on using "Sexual Orientation", since "preference" implicates it's a choice of some sort. But about the RPs, I can kinda see why this doesn't happen. While it's true that it adds a new layer of sophistication, it also adds a new layer of complexity, wich I don't think the RPs exactly lack as is.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah it's so refreshing to see a post like this! I'm asexual and bigender so I'm always used to being overlooked in both heteronormative society and the LGBT community.

I agree adding another layer to rps is really cool. I used to rp a lot of Hetalia and for some reason that fandom (despite lots of weeaboos) had a lot of variety in rps :)